RECTORS (and Curates)

1305   John de Foxton

1323   John de Northwold 

1329   Roy de Northwold

1371   Richard de Fouldon 

1385   Ralf Wymark 

1405   Peter Feld

1415   Richard Cristeman, changed for Sapesten Vicarage

1428   John Thrower .0.

1418   Robert Spyre

1461   John Comb A.M.

1477   Brother William Caster, a Monk

1507   Jeffry Paris

1517   Thomas Ward, res(ident)

1521   John Gotts

1546   James Booth 0

1552   Richard Hobson, Deprived

1555   Richard Merricocke, res(ident)

1557   James Forster, 0

1559   Rowland Rabbye

1561   John Seaman. United to Tibbenham.  
          He returned 55 Communicants.

1607 Edward Rous, res(ident) *

1646 Thomas Rowse, A.M., res(ident)

1661    Richard Francis, A.M., ob.

1676   George Raymond, A.M.

1679   Thomas Jeffery, A.M. on Raymond's Cession

1695   William Barber, 0

1719   Thomas Holmes, A.M.

1729   James Soley, Junior *
          United to Gissing, he resigned

1731   Rev Mr Thomas Kemp *

1761   Edward Howman

1811   George Realling Leathes

1821   William Robert Kemp, Bart, on his own petition *

1856   Gascoigne Frederick Whitaker *

1884   James Liggins Cotton

1886   Isaac Easton *

1923   Edgar Sharpe

1930   Henry Martin Thorpe

1933   Lewis Evans

1936   Basil Silver Aldwell

1940   M L Foyn *

1942   R W Whitehouse

1950   R Whaites

1955   A C M Wellings

1963   W P J Fair (retired 1979)

NOTES on those names marked with an * asterisk

Edward Rous, who became Rector in 1607, is mentioned as 'a beloved relative' by Dorothy Kemp of Flordon Hall who held Puritan views. The oldest part of the Rectory was probably built (or rebuilt) for him.

Two entries from the 18th century indicate that Flordon was united with Gissing - not an easy journey by horse, or pony and trap, between the two: James Soley Jr resigned. He was followed in 1731 by 
'Rev Mr Thomas Kemp, the present Rector, who holds it united to Gissing, and was presented by Sir Robert Kemp of Ubbeston, Bart, his Father; and now Sir Robert Kemp of Ubbeston, Bart., his eldest Brother, is Lord and Patron.'

Rev Sir William Robert Kemp - there seems to be some confusion over dates here because the following appears in Oxford University & City Herald, 13 April 1816:

Rev. Sir William Robert Kemp, Bart. M.A. has been Instituted to the rectories of Flordon and Gissing, in Norfolk, on his own petition.

Gascoigne Frederick Whitaker: In 1873 he replaced the rather fine cupola where a tower had once been with the present bell cote. He also spent £700 of his own money renovating and enlarging the Rectory - a project he did not live to see completed. When he died, his effects were sold at an auction held in the Rectory:

Wed 29th & 30th January 1884, 2-day sale of effects of Rev G F Whittaker, deceased, held at Flordon Rectory, including 'Brilliant Cottage Piano.... Library of books.... Roan Harness Mare, useful and strong.... A London built Stanhope Phaeton, nearly new, 2 sledges.... 2 useful cart horses, Sow and Pigs..... Stacks of Hay and Straw....

Isaac Easton undertook a major restoration programme in 1908 when the chancel roof was repaired, the south wall underpinned and a buttress renewed and enlarged. Inside, the stairs to the rood loft were unblocked, the chancel arch constructed and at least one window in the church was replaced. Two small windows on either side of the porch were blocked up. 

After he left in 1923 there was another grand sale of the contents of the Rectory as he had gone to America. At the age of 67, he and Mary Isabel Easton (his unmarried daughter, aged 37) left England on 8th June 1923 travelling First Class in the ship 'Dinteldyk' (Holland-America Line) bound for California.

Rev M L Foyn: EDP Report (date unknown but 1941-2)
'PRESENTATION - At a concert and social held in the Rectory Room a presentation was made to the Rector (the Rev. M L Foyn) and Mrs Lee on their departure from the parish. Mr J E Cadman spoke of the sincere regret of the whole parish at the Rector's departure. Mr Harbour then presented the Rector with a case of pipes, and Mrs English presented Mrs Lee with a clock.'

(Above) Baptismal certificate signed by Rev R W Whitehouse, Rector of Flordon, in 1945


The fact that a few (very few!) Rectors are listed as 'res'(ident) suggests that for most of the time parishioners were served by a Curate or by neighbouring clergy. Some curates left their mark - not always good ones....

Oxford University & City Herald, 30 July 1814
At Long Stratton, in the 69th year of his age, the Rev. William D'Oyly, more than twenty years curate of Stratton St. Michael and Flordon with Hapton.

The sorry tale of Rev Carter W Moore:

Norfolk News, 20 Oct 1849
INTERRUPTION OF DIVINE WORSIP - On Sunday morning last, during the hours of divine service, the parish church of Flordon was the scene of much confusion, in consequence of some suspicious and disorderly persons, not resident in the neighbourhood, interrupting the service. The clerk was compelled to leave his desk, in order to pursue the fugitives, but lost all trace of them at the line of railroad. This is the second similar occurrence, as we are informed, within the last three months. The Rev. C. W. Moore, the curate, has offered FIVE POUNDS REWARD, on conviction of the offenders before a magistrate.

This same Curate was to come to grief himself a few years later: Rev Carter W Moore was a vicar's son who took his degree at St John's Cambridge and was ordained in Lincolnshire in 1841. After curacies in Lincolnshire and East London (then Essex) he became Curate-in-charge of Flordon 1848-52. But he was 'deprived of his licence by the Bishop of Norwich for having, in full canonicals [i.e. clergy robes], cursed a magistrate of Norfolk as he was getting into his carriage at Flordon station.

'Upon the arrival of the five o'clock train at the Flordon Station, on evening of Saturday 13th March last, the Rev. Mr. Moore, the late curate of Flordon, was observed at the station house, dressed in his Canonicals; and upon a neighbouring magistrate leaving the train the Rev. Gentleman cursed him and his family and all belonging to his, in the most vehement manner..... ever since Mr. Moore has been at Fordon, now about four years, he has been almost constantly at variance with some one or other of his neighbours... ' He was committed to Norwich Castle on 21 March 1852.  

Animosity seems to have arisen from an accusation by Mr Moore that the local postman had assaulted him, leading to an appeal to the magistrate by Mr Moore's father but the magistrate 'advised him to remove his son from Flordon as... sooner or later he would get himself into serious scraps.' Father sent the letter to his son for comment - and son attacked the writer.... William Gwyn of Tasburgh Lodge. 

Later Rev C W Moore moved back to Essex to become a chaplain and then a curate in Chelmsford. He died in 1884. 

Other Reports

The style of worship in the past was very different from today:
From local news report, 1931: FLORDON PATRONAL FESTIVAL
On Sunday, the Church of St Michael and All Angels, Flordon, kept the Eve of the Patronal Festival with due solemnity in accordance with the traditions of the Catholic faith... Sung Mass was celebrated at 8.45 am by the Rev. Eather Hilborne of the Cathedral of Antigua, Br. W Indies, at which there was a good attendance, despite the inclement weather. Solemn Evensong was sung by Father Hilbourne at 6.30pm, who also preached, taking as his text the good works of St Michael, and exhorting the people of Flordon to continue in the absence of a vicar with the spread of the Catholic faith in their district and to extend to all people that charitableness that was so great a feature of the life of St Michael....